MAE 284 - Robust and Multivariable Control (Spring 2004)
Course web address:
Instructor: Prof. Miroslav Krstic,
1808 EBUI, 822-1374, email@example.com
Green and Limebeer, Linear Robust Control, Prentice Hall, 1995 (main text, out
Kemin Zhou, Essentials of Robust Control, Prentice Hall, 1997 (supplemental
Linear Systems (MAE 280B) or consent of instructor
- Time and Place: TuThu, 2-3:20, HSS CENTR 205
- M 2:30-3:30 or by appointment (e-mail, phone)
- Grading: (click on highlighted items for problem sets)
- Homework 35%
To introduce the students to methods for robust control of linear dynamical systems,
where a priori known bounds of uncertainties are used to design a
single linear controller. The focus is on state space methods for multivariable
robust control, input-output properties and norms of systems, and optimal model
- Introduction - Control Objectives: model matching, disturbance attenuation,
- Multivariable Frequency Response Design. Singular values. Robust stability.
- Signals and Systems. Linear spaces, norms, inner products,
operators, induced norms. Small gain theorem. Passivity. Bounded real lemma.
- Linear Fractional Transformations.
- LQG Control. Full information + Kalman filter = Measurement feedback.
- Full Information H-infinity Controller. Differential games. Riccati
equation. Necessity and sufficiency.
- H-infinity Filter.
- H-infinity Generalized Regulator.
- Model Reduction (time permitting). Balanced realization. Truncation.
Hankel norm approximations. Nehari's theorem.