302 pages, hardcover
Part I. Constant Delays
2. Linear Systems with Input and State Delays
3. Linear Systems with Distributed Delays
4. Application: Automotive Catalysts
5. Nonlinear Systems with Input Delay
Part II. Time-Varying Delays
6. Linear Systems with Time-Varying Input Delay
7. Robustness of Linear Constant-Delay Predictors to Time-Varying Delay Perturbations
8. Nonlinear Systems with Time-Varying Input Delay
9. Nonlinear Systems with Simultaneous Time-Varying Delays on the Input and the State
Part III. State-Dependent Delays
10. Predictor Feedback Design When the Delay Is a Function of the State
11. Stability Analysis for Forward-Complete Systems with Input Delay
12. Stability Analysis for Locally Stabilizable Systems with Input Delay
13. Nonlinear Systems with State Delay
14. Robustness of Nonlinear Constant-Delay Predictors to Time- and State-Dependent Delay Perturbations
15. State-Dependent Delays That Depend on Delayed States
The authors have developed a methodology for control of nonlinear systems in the presence of long delays, with large and rapid variation in the actuation or sensing path, or in the presence of long delays affecting the internal state of a system. In addition to control synthesis, they introduce tools to quantify the performance and the robustness properties of the designs provided in the book.
The book is based on the concept of predictor feedback and infinite-dimensional backstepping transformation for linear systems and the authors guide the reader from the basic ideas of the concept--with constant delays only on the input--all the way through to nonlinear systems with state-dependent delays on the input as well as on system states.
Several examples are presented that help the reader digest some of the intricacies in the methodology. Readers will find the book useful because the authors
· provide elegant and systematic treatments of long-standing problems in delay systems, such as systems with state-dependent delays that arise in many applications;
· give all control designs by explicit formulae, making the book especially useful for engineers who have faced delay-related challenges and are concerned with actual implementations; and
· accompany all control designs with Lyapunov-based analysis for establishing stability and performance guarantees.
This book is intended for researchers working on control of delay systems, including engineers, mathematicians, and students.